St. Mary`s Bells
A good ring of bells is one of the glories of an English country church, and Whissonsett is no exception.
Enthusiasts come from far and wide to ring Whissonsett's five bells -- but less than 20 years ago it seemed the St. Mary's bells would be silent for ever.
Bell ringing enthusiast the Rev Andrew Sawyer took over the group of parishes in 1978 and found the bell-chamber in a parlous state.
The cracked tenor bell of the four had been scrapped in 1947, leaving the three remaining bells in a derelict and dangerous condition in a worm-eaten and rotten timber bell-frame.
But, undeterred, local fund-raisers began work in 1979 to raise the money to bring the sound back once again to Whissonsett. Volunteers removed the bells and frame and built and installed a new six-bell frame.
In 1981 the three old bells, now refurbished, were re-hung, and a redundant bell from the Norfolk parish of Didlington was bought and tuned as the second in a future ring of six. All the re-hanging work was done by local people under the supervision of Mr Sawyer.
The four bells were rededicated by the Archdeacon of Lynn in 1983 and church bells once more became a regular part of life in Whissonsett.
But the fund-raisers were not finished...
The gift of metal from a cracked bell at the redundant church of St Michael at Plea in Norwich was recast by famous bellmakers Taylor's as the third in a future ring of six. The new bell, the fifth in Whissonsett's ring, was dedicated on May 12 1985.